Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Millennial kids


I went home yesterday totally frustrated with the day I had. I ended up talking to my best friend who also works at the same college as me and she had a similar day. Then this morning, I received an email from a respected professor detailing some of the same frustrations I have been dealing with for the last couple of days. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!

Let me tell you right now. HELICOPTER PARENTING. If you are a parent, you are not doing your child any favors if you do everything for them. You need to let them fail and struggle to succeed in life. I'm not saying you shouldn't step in once in a while. There is a time and a place to help. When they reach college they should have skills to be a responsible young adult.

Here are things that have happened in the last week or two.

1. Student doesn't feel well. Just doesn't show up to take a scheduled test. If I had done this, I would have failed the test. They have no idea this is just plain wrong!

2. Major graduation requirement deadline Monday. Student claims to know nothing about it. "No one told me about it." It is your job to know what the requirements are and be your own advocate. It is not your advisor's job.

3. Student shows up at the financial aid office wondering why their aid is different than the previous year. (Missed deadline loses aid even though numerous notices/emails were sent.) Again it is not the financial aid office's responsiblity to make sure you do the right thing.

There are consequences for your actions. Do the millennial kids never face any consequences? I'm starting to think NO. And I'm part of the problem too. No more Mr Nice Guy. Nope! I'm going to be harder on these kids and they will either hate me or thank me.


No comments: