Saturday, July 11, 2009

Thoughts...

You know how much I love the website Unclutter. Well here's another great post about "Having it all..." I try to live a simple good life. And this post totally resonated with me. It's all things I have I said and tried to instill in my life. Here's a few of my favorite ideas from Unclutter:

"Determine what matters most to you. Make a list of the people, activities, and things in your life that mean the most to you and then spend the vast majority of your time focusing on these items. Be honest with yourself, though, and put on your list what really matters to you, not what you think should matter to you."

"Remind yourself that even if you live to be 100, life is short. There is no better time to live your life than right now. My life’s motto is carpe vitam, Latin for seize life. It’s morbid to think about, but someday might not ever come. Stop putting things off until tomorrow."

"Say “no” to what doesn’t matter. If an activity or responsibility isn’t on your list of what matters most to you, say “no” to it. Learn to say “no” in such a way as to not be a jerk, but say “no” when you need to. This is where I greatly differ from most people because I don’t feel guilty about protecting my time. And, as far as I know, most people don’t think I’m a jerk because I’m clear about why I’m declining offers and invitations."

"Get rid of everything that is toxic in your life because toxic things are clutter. Toxic people and habits suck up resources and energy. I was an avid smoker until I calculated how much of my money, time, and energy were going into my smoking addiction. No matter how gifted and talented, I avoid employing, working with, and spending time with people who are toxic. A toxic person can waste your time and mental energy faster than any other form of clutter."

"Take risks and be brazen. A second motto in my life is ad astra per aspera, which is loosely translated as to the stars through difficulty. Great things might fall in your lap from time to time, but for the most part you have to get outside your comfort zone and initiate something new."

2 comments:

Simple Daisy said...

Love the post!! It's just what i needed this morning!! Have a super happy Saturday...
PS..love the new blog!! Just fabulous!

Kara said...

Thanks! I thought it was time for a change...